All you need to know about ‘ORGANIC’
The organic industry has thrived over the decades globally. With the increasing concern to lead a healthier lifestyle, people across the world are taking a more holistic approach to fulfill their health and grooming requirements viz. food habits and fashion & beauty. So what really is ‘Organic’? Is it really worth investing in?
The following are some question and answers that can best solve your queries and help you decide your future investment:
- What does ‘Organic’ mean?
Organic simply means anything derived naturally or from living matter. Organic foods are produced by methods that comply with the standards of Organic farming. They are produced without the use of genetic engineering or genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Organic foods and farming are climate-friendly.Organic farming prohibits the use of toxic pesticides, antibiotics, growth hormones and climate-destabilising chemical fertilizers.
- What are the benefits of Organic foods & products?
No pesticides, chemicals, or processed additives harming a human body mean a smaller risk of disease, illness, and disorders. Organic food and products are rich in nutrients and are also GMO free. Organic farming is better for the environment.
- Why is the organic wellness and beauty industry thriving?
Not only food, the organic beauty industry has also grown in the recent times.The increasing awareness on nature and love for earth among people also has added to the demand for organic foods and products.People today are concerned about purchasing foods with high nutritional value. People also worry about pesticide and drug residues routinely found in non-organic produce, processed foods.
- Why is the price of Organic premium as compared to non-organic?
- No chemicals, so more labours
- Demand for organic food comparatively less than demand for non - organic
- Higher cost of fertilizer for organic crops
- Organic food grows more slowly
- Handling cost post – harvest is expensive
This article has been authored by Dolly Kumar, Founder & Director, GAIA